TURNER is seeking an account executive to join our travel and tourism team remotely from South Carolina, reporting to supervisors in our New York office. This candidate will support client relations for key tourism accounts, conduct proactive/outbound media relations, and assist in reporting and other account management needs.
We’re looking for someone who understands the basics of what makes a PR pro great (detail-oriented, creative, and a great communicator). Our ideal candidate is a natural-born organizer who pays attention to every detail and goes the extra mile to ensure he/she is fully integrated with remote team members; a self-motivated leader who doesn’t mind working on his/her own because the rest of the TURNER team is located in other cities. Strong writing skills are a must as well, and if you love to travel, we’d love to hear about it.
Specific responsibilities may include:
- 50% of time to be allocated to supporting South Carolina Tourism work; other accounts to be determined
- Supports daily activities for designated national and international accounts as part of a multi-person account team
- Contributes 60 percent of time to proactive media relations
- Plans, implements and manages client media tours and local market visits
- Assists with planning and execution/hosting of media familiarization tours.
- Understands and prioritizes the objectives of each client; anticipates needs in advance
- Writes client collateral, which includes but is not limited to: news releases, media alerts, photo captions, media pitches, bios and fact sheets
- Brainstorms new, fresh story angles and proactively pitches them to relevant media
- Develops and maintains solid relationships with journalists, bloggers and social media influencers
- Prepares meeting agendas, notes and reports
- Assists with account budgets, resources and deadlines
- Assists with client relations through meetings, conference calls, events and general contact
- Performs in-depth research and analysis of clients (audits)
- Stay abreast of current industry news and trends
- Act as first set of eyes on materials prepared by JAE/AC
- Reporting and tracking will be required for some accounts, including managing tools such as Trendkite, Cision and coverage tracking
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Three or more years of communications experience in the travel industry; agency experience preferred
- Holds established national travel and lifestyle media relationships, and the skills to develop new relationships using traditional and digital tools
- Strong knowledge of the South Carolina tourism product
- BA or BS in public relations, journalism, communications or related fields
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficient in AP Style
- Previous experience coordinating media familiarization tours and/or desk side tours
- Possesses excellent writing skills, with a strong attention to detail
- Proficiency using TrendKite/Cision/Burrelles, news wires, MS applications
- A current passport and a willingness to travel as needed for clients (at this account level, travel is approximately once per quarter)
- Passion for the travel/tourism industry and the ability to spot trends. Want to impress us? Tell us what you think is the ‘Next Big Thing’ (and/or, what is so, totally, cliché this year).
Other ways to WOW us:
- Tell us about your passion for promoting tourism to South Carolina
- If you’ve spent some time exploring the world
- If you have a personal hobby or interest involving anything remotely relevant to our client portfolio. Climbing mountains? Serious foodie? Building orphanages in Africa? So do we, and our authenticity with clients is important to us.
- You’ve published anything, anywhere – anything from a personal blog to bylined articles; please include the links
TURNER is a public relations, social media and digital communications firm representing some of the world’s best destinations, resorts and brands. We specialize in tourism, travel and active lifestyle brands (“The places you want to go, and the items you need in your suitcase.”). We have offices in New York, Chicago, Denver, Los Angeles, and Miami to best service our worldwide clients based in the U.S., U.K., Canada, Latin America and Caribbean.
TURNER is an Equal Opportunity Employer.