- Lead and manage the Public Information Office for the SC Department of Agriculture (SCDA).
- Serve as the spokesperson for the SC Commissioner of Agriculture.
- Execute the agency’s communication plan to support the goals defined in the agency’s strategic plan.
- Provide credible information to staff, constituents, partner agencies, and media about critical issues and pertinent topics.
- Develop and execute strategies to engage the public and help them understand their connection to agriculture and SCDA.
- Research and write articles for the Market Bulletin. Serve as editor and oversee the production of 24 issues per year.
- Support the promotion of SCDA, South Carolina agriculture, and events by generating content for all available social media channels.
- Oversee the Agency’s social media channels.
- Write and edit press releases, news articles, editorials, letters, radio scripts, speeches, talking points and/or brochures.
- Maximize the reach of industry and agency messaging.
- Update and exercise the crisis management plan for emergency response activities, food and feed product recalls, etc.
- Develop policies and procedures governing the release of agency information.
- Engage with the Senior Leadership Team and advise Commissioner and/or Assistant Commissioners (Division Directors).
- Increase interagency communications.
- Facilitate staff professional development related to communications/media and create/maintain a South Carolina orientated media contacts database.
- Maintain strong contacts with statewide South Carolina media, as well as national media.
MINIMUM AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Bachelor’s degree and five (5) years of professional experience in media, corporate / organizational communications, or in the public information field, preferably with a progressive level of responsibility.
- Have working knowledge of a variety of computer programs used in producing print and electronic communications and social media development and utilization.
- Demonstrated ability to connect with people from all backgrounds, educational levels, and walks of life.
- Proven track record of developing, maintaining and strengthening partnerships with stakeholders.
- Possess depth of knowledge of journalistic practices and procedures, research methods, and information release.
- Ability to organize often dissimilar or unfamiliar concepts and ideas into sensible, logical thoughts as well as the ability to plan and deliver oral and written communications that make an impact.
- Be able to gain others’ support for ideas, proposals, projects, and solutions.
- Possess a high level of initiative and strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to handle crisis and/or controversial situations.
- Experience in and a working knowledge of South Carolina agriculture and agribusiness.
- Skilled in crisis management protocol.
- Mass media experience.
- Supervisory experience.
- Proven writing experience.
- A successful candidate must be able to multi-task and maintain focus in a busy office environment.
- Requires some daytime and overnight travel.
- Occasional weekend work will be required.
APPLICATIONS MAY BE OBTAINED AND FILED ONLINE AT:
1200 Senate Street, Suite 527
Columbia, SC 29201
Complete job listing can be found here: https://bit.ly/2J30d5k