The Public Education Coordinator II will work with the Director of Communications to determine new and innovative ways to strategically engage target audiences throughout South Carolina. Through the development of approved public outreach campaigns, establish a high level of confidence and maintain a positive working relationship with key partners through the state to increase organ/tissue donation through increased donor registrations, heightening the profile and trust of We Are Sharing Hope SC and positively impacting organ and tissue donation rates. This position will plan, manage and execute organizational projects and serve as a resource to internal and external audiences.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1. Assist with development and execution of the Communications department strategic plan
2. Maintain and interpret tracking and evaluation of systems to assess results of Communications department campaigns, donor designation efforts and marketing initiatives
3. Through positive relationships with local, regional, print, broadcast and electronic media, gain media placement for We Are Sharing Hope SC and organ and tissue donation. Assist with and/or coordinate media interviews and participate in interviews in partnership with Director of Communications.
4. Develop and implement strategic public education outreach plans and campaigns based on analysis of departmental tracking and donor designation data to positively impact donor designation rates throughout South Carolina
5. Manage educational events, print, video projects, or other materials relating to We Are Sharing Hope SC’s commitment to the mission of donation
6. Act as liaison with Donate Life South Carolina and Donate Life America to ensure education efforts across South Carolina are consistent and targeted
7. Serves as a resource to Public Education Coordinators and volunteers when scheduling events and activities on behalf of We Are Sharing Hope SC and Donate Life SC
8. Oversees and manages volunteer base comprised of donor families, transplant recipients and people passionate about the mission of donation.
9. Represents We Are Sharing Hope SC in key community business development opportunities
10. Develop strategic communication plans to increase donor designation
11. Develop volunteers to ensure message is consistent and thorough throughout the state of South Carolina
12. Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in communication, education or related field, i.e. marketing, public health,and/or journalism
- Experience in health care public relations, specifically an OPO or transplant center preferred.
- Minimum five years’ experience in the field of health care related or non-profit public relations or three years’ experience in the position of Public Education Coordinator demonstrating proficiency in the areas of public speaking, project and event coordination, problem resolution, decision making and leadership
- Must possess exceptional communication and organizational skills and is flexible to the needs of an organization that is open 24 hours a day
- Ability to communicate (written and verbally) with diverse constituencies, including but not limited to, donor families, volunteers, high school and college staff and faculty, hospital personnel, medical professionals, media, DMV office staff and customers, and corporate and community partners
- Comfortable with public speaking and giving large scale presentations to a variety of key publics
- Ability to support the mission of donation through strategic media placement and social media engagement
- Photography/video editing
- Requires strong organizational skills, ability to meet deadlines and be detail-oriented.
- Demonstrated presentation, interpersonal and above average communication skills
- Ability to travel overnight on a routine basis
- An equivalent combination of education and experience.
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION, OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
- APR preferred
Core: Compassion, Accountability, Integrity, Stewardship, Excellence, Unity
Continuous Development – proactively taking actions to improve personal capability to meet organizational goals. It involves being willing to assess one’s level of development, expertise and performance relative to one’s current job, or as part of focused career planning.
Expertise – the motivation to expand and use technical knowledge to distribute work-related knowledge to others. This involves a commitment to think about the ongoing and evolving needs of the organization and to learn how new and different solutions can be utilized to ensure success and move the organization forward.
Initiative – identifying a problem, obstacle or opportunity and proactively taking appropriate action to address current or future problems or opportunities.
Attention to Detail – the ability to complete a task while demonstrating a thorough concern for all the areas involved, no matter how small. This means monitoring and checking work or information, while organizing time and resources efficiently. It includes the ability to bring together different elements in order to achieve results or accomplish tasks. This means ensuring information is complete and accurate; and following up with others (on own work or others) to ensure commitments have been fulfilled.
Building Partnerships with Stakeholders – the ability to build long-term or on-going relationships with stakeholders (e.g. someone who shares an interest in what you are doing). This type of relationship is often quite deliberate and is typically focused on the way the relationship is conducted. Implicit in this competency is demonstrating a respect for and stating positive expectations of the stakeholder.
Flexibility – the ability and willingness to adapt to and work effectively within a variety of diverse situations, and with diverse individuals or groups. Flexibility entails understanding and appreciating different and opposing perspectives on an issue, adapting one’s approach as situations change and accepting changes within one’s own job or organization.