Careers at DHEC: Work that makes a difference!
Pursuing Excellence, Inspiring Innovation, Promoting Teamwork, and Embracing Service
We’re looking for a savvy public information officer to lead our award-winning Media Relations team. This person is a strategic thinker who enjoys a fast pace and telling the story of the work we’re doing across the state to achieve our vision of healthy people living in healthy communities. The role will primarily develop effective messaging for media responses and communication plans in consultation with our environmental and public health experts.
- Serves as DHEC’s lead public information officer and as a primary responder in the event of critical or emergency situations (e.g., hurricane responses or disease outbreaks).
- Coordinates and fields media inquiries; collaborates with subject matter experts to develop messages and provides accurate, timely responses to the media.
- Drafts, revises, and edits news releases, editorials, media placements, communication plans, and other materials as needed.
- Monitors media for information pertinent to the agency.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with local and national reporters, editors, and producers.
- Provides regular media relations training to agency leaders and subject matter experts.
- Coaches and develops the Media Relations division staff.
MINIMUM AND ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
State Minimum Requirements: A bachelor’s degree and professional experience related to the development and dissemination of informational material.
Institutions of Higher Learning must be recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation.
Agency Additional Requirements: A bachelor’s degree and experience related to the development and dissemination of informational material. Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Applicants indicating college credit or degree(s) on the application may upload an unofficial copy of the transcript as an attachment to the application. Please note that the agency will require an official, certified copy of the transcript or diploma prior to hiring.
10 years of progressive experience working in communications or public affairs. Demonstrated experience supporting C-Suite level leaders or elected officials in planning and executing communications strategies. Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-volume environment. Excellent interpersonal, project management, and problem-solving skills. Established relationships with South Carolina-based reporters and editors.
For full job description and details visit careers.sc.gov, reference job #93888.