Work location: BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina-4101 Percival Rd. , Columbia, SC.
Senior Media Relations Strategist-R1006149
Job Description Summary: Responsible for media relations for subsidiary companies within the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina group of companies as well as the BlueCross BlueShield of South Carolina Foundation. Implements BlueCross Division media relations plans. Promotes BlueChoice HealthPlan Medicaid activities to media. Participates on the Corporate Emergency Response Team (CERT).
• 40% Responsible for media calls to subsidiary companies and pitches the subsidiaries to appropriate media as an adjunct to their marketing plans. Works directly with presidents and other top leadership within these companies. To aid in enhancing the company’s public image, reviews each call to determine when an inquiry warrants an interview by an executive, when an inquiry can be answered by the Senior Media Relations Specialist with input by the executives, or is an issue that the AVP of Corporate Relations should oversee.
• 35% Implements BlueCross Division media relations, including heavy support of SC BLUE Retail during open enrollment, to include promotional media pitches, onsite print/online/TV/radio media interviews and print and video news release development. Responsible for developing new media materials (video news releases, digital content) as well as traditional media materials (print news releases, articles). Performs research and develops communication plans and media pitches that match or enhance marketing goals or positive public image goals. Works with top management at BlueChoice HealthPlan Medicaid and with mid-level management in the BlueCross Division.
• 25% Works directly with Foundation executive director, responds to media calls, and coordinates Foundation plans with other BlueCross initiatives. Develops and implements strategic media plans for the Foundation and its grantees.
o Bachelor’s Degree Public Relations, Mass Communications, Marketing, English, Journalism or other job related degree.
Required Work Experience:
o 5 years of media relations experience, to include serving as media spokesperson, executive media training, and development of strategic media communications plans.
Preferred Work Experience:
o Experience with media relations software, i.e. Cision.
o Working knowledge of all social media platforms.
o Prior experience as an on-camera spokesperson and/or delivering formal press releases to media outlets.
o PLEASE UPLOAD SAMPLES OF PRIOR WORK (PRESS RELEASES, COMMUNICATION PLANS, I.E.) WITH RESUME.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrates high quality judgement skills
- Ability to manage competing priorities
- Aligns work with business goals
- Assesses communications channels and audiences
- Edits materials
- Manages client relations
- Plans communications efforts
- Tracks communications efforts